Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Importance of Work

From CaringBridge site:

Written Aug 8, 2012 6:20pm by Renee Albracht

First of all, thank you, everyone, for your prayers and posts. I look forward to reading your words of encouragement. Terri, the eye is better. I will remember the potato thing, though!
Today was an AWESOME day! I feel fantastic! It's amazing how a little bit of work can change my outlook!

My boss and I had a meeting with one of the Associate Deans of Students today. For years, we have been asking for an audience in front of the incoming freshman during orientation. For the past few years, we got about five minutes with all the students and sessions with the parents. This year, we still got out parent sessions, but we also finally get an hour in front of the freshman during welcome week!!!

This is usually something I would handle and I still plan on handling it. However, since it takes place next Sunday, during chemo week, Terry will be my backup. I should be better by then and able to do it, but we are working together just in case.

I have not been out of my office much since being diagnosed with cancer. Many people on campus passed along their concern and prayers through Mike and Terry, but I have not seen them myself. It was great seeing so many people in the Student Affairs Office and other places on campus. Belmont truly is a great place to be. So many people are so supportive!

Since I have led programs with students for years, I spoke most of the time during the meeting, highlighting what I often share with students--everything from what our department does to how to respond to an active shooter on campus. I really felt in my element and felt important once again.

Later in the afternoon, I started working on a power point presentation. My boss offered to work on it later, but I really wanted to do it. As I told my boss, most of what we want to say is already posted on our website and in my notes from other programs I have done. It is a simple matter of putting it together.
Also, Terry's power points are more business oriented. I wanted to add colors and pictures and gear it more for our student audience.

At 4:30pm, I was still going strong. Terry came and asked me what I was still doing at work. I was on a roll and having fun. I usually leave work around 4pm. I didn't leave until 6pm.
Such a simple thing, but feeling needed and having a job to do really made for a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment