Friday, September 21, 2012

Every Cycle is Different

From CaringBridge site:

Written Sep 11, 2012 10:41am by Renee Albracht

While meeting with the doctor before chemo, we talk about how things went during the last cycle. I told him how this session took longer to get over. He reminded me what he told me in the beginning about my body being like a prize fighter and that it would get harder. Then, it would get better. It's an up and down cycle. It was good to hear my blood counts were not the cause of it.

I also told him how I feel manic during good days, how my body and brain go in the extreme opposite direction and I cannot get either to slow down. He said that, too, was normal. Just like how I tend to eat more during good weeks, my body is simply over compensating for the week prior.
He looked at my dad and said that only happens with the young ones and not with the old bodies like theirs. My dad said, "Thanks a lot!" Love my doctor. He is so personable!

During chemo, I started feeling sick to my stomach. It didn't last long. I debated between getting up and going to the restroom or staying put and waiting it out. Luckily, I was quite groggy and ended up falling asleep and sleeping off the pain.

After chemo, my stomach was okay, but I was much groggier than normal. I came home and went to bed. I got up long enough for dinner. My dad made tacos and I ate four. Still a good appetite at least!
After dinner, Dad watched television in bed with me for a little while before going to bed himself.
I didn't sleep well, though. Between the nausea and hot flashes, it was not a restful sleep. (Mom, I did remember to wake up and take my pill. Didn't help much, though.)

I usually feel pretty normal on Tuesdays. Not today. I am still groggy and a bit sick to my stomach, but I got out of bed. My dad made me breakfast, I got the crock pot chicken ready for dinner, and I am now on the couch with my laptop writing this update and doing some work.

And...I am drinking juice and water. That is also something new. I feel very thirsty and am drinking plenty right now. I also started taking the stool softener and eating my yogurt to try to defend against the constipation before it strikes!

Yesterday, I asked the doctor if I could wait and get my flu shot today when I go back for the other shot. He agreed. So, I am trying to do what I can while I can just in case the shot does make me sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment