Monday, September 17, 2012

First Trip Out After First Chemo

From CaringBridge site:

Written Jun 19, 2012 5:41pm by Renee Albracht

What a day! This is my sister's last day in town and we had a lot planned. Well, a lot for me, considering I've been doing nothing but sleeping at home or laying in a hospital bed for the past two weeks.

First, we went to a wig place in Bellevue. My sister did a lot of research to find just the right place with just the right wig. At first, I was gung ho about being bald and being proud. But, I am such a wall flower. Last thing I want is for attention to be drawn to me, especially at work. My sister knows this about me and she, my mom, and dad are pitching in to get me a real hair wig that I can even swim in! It is custom made for my head! They also got me a wig cap and a night cap to help me get used to the bald head. This place my sister found was great. They cater to people going through chemo.

So, next Wednesday at 10:30am, I'm shaving what will be left of my hair and getting my fake hair. My dad, brother-in-law, and some friends are going to shave their heads on Wednesday. My mom is going to see if her hair is long enough to donate to locks of love. I don't think all that is necessary, but I sure do appreciate the support.

I'm still in the denial phase somewhat. I can say that I have Hodgkins, but I can't say I have the "c" word yet. I am expecting to and ready to cry next Wednesday. I think it will make this more real.

Anyway, after that, we went and had lunch with my boss and friend Mike at a local meat and three I frequent often. The ladies there knew about my condition and were so sweet! I think it helped me being out and about in my own environment. And, it sure was nice to be able to eat a good meal and not feel sick!

Then, we went to Belmont. I did a few minute's worth of work, filing papers from work I was able to do at home. I then showed them around campus and we took my nephews to the bookstore for some suveniers.

That was fun for me. I got to show off my Bon Jovi spot--where Jon Bon Jovi stood and where I stood during the 2007 CMT Video Music Awards. It was cool being able to tell and show my Bon Jovi story to someone who appreciates it and gets it--my sister!

After all that, we made one last stop at Petsmart to get my baby some food before coming home. I was so super exhausted! Sad that this little bit of activity took all my energy, but glad I had the energy to do all that.

My baby wouldn't let me nap when I got home so I should sleep very well tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment