Monday, September 17, 2012

Acts of Love

From CaringBridge site:

Written Jun 22, 2012 5:14pm by Renee Albracht

Busy and fulfilling day today! We planned on going to IHOP for breakfast and running a few errands. What I didn't plan on was my mom getting her hair cut today and me spending so much money at the bookstore!

My mom wanted to go to a bookstore to get some book in a series that has been turned into a television show. For me, bookstores are like clothing stores to most women and new books are like a buffet for food addicts!

I ended up buying four books by my favorite authors: two by Leo Tolstoy, one by Fyoder Dostoyevsky, and one by Gunter Grass. They all had similar topics: the meaning of life and the futility of materialism or some such likeness. I could not choose so I decided to get them all.

One piece of advice that has really stuck with me is to continue doing the things I love. Do not give up your hobbies. It is now that I need to indulge in them the most! I have plenty of books at home that I have not read, but I am in love with the classics. So, I shall indulge in the classics!

Before we went to the bookstore, we stopped by work so I could file some papers away and catch up on a few things. While there, a friend of the family who lives in Nashville, was texting my dad about hair places for my mom. His girlfriend was able to get her an appointment today to cut and style her hair. My mom wanted to cut her hair and donate it to locks of love.

While waiting for her appointment, I began thinking about life and about not putting things off that I want to do. One indulgence I recently succumbed to was monthly massages. However, although I am a member of a local massage place, I have not been since I got sick in March. So, adhering to the advise to do things I enjoy, I made an appointment for me and my mom to get massages next Tuesday! Should be nice and relaxing. Just what I need.

My friend, Mickey and his girlfriend Shannon, the ones who set up the appointment for my mom, stopped by the salon to say hi and to bring us a bunt cake from Shannon's store. It was really good to see them. They also surprised us by paying for my mom's hair cut! How awesome and unexpected!
I have posted pictures of my mom's cut in the photos section.

Overall it was a very good day! I even felt well enough to drive all day!

The best thing about today, though, other than my mom's act of love and my decision to self indulge a bit, was the realization that people truly want to help. It's not just empty words. And, not only do they want to help, but it's important for them.

I didn't think my family needed to come up here and stay as long as they have. I don't think they need to pamper me the way they have. The point isn't whether they need to or not. The point is that they want to and doing so is important to them.

Mickey and Shannon didn't need to bring us a cake and take care of my mom's haircut, but it was something they wanted to do, their way of being there for me and showing me their love.

No one can take away this cancer or take away the pain. And, sometimes, prayer just isn't enough. Sometimes, people want to physically do something. I'm humbled by their generosity, support, and love.
This morning, during my prayer time, I began to cry. I couldn't understand why at first. I was in a good mood and felt fine. Then, I realized I was humbled by the love of perfect strangers. People who have never met me and only know about me because of their relationship with someone else who knows me have been reaching out to me, showing their support and sharing very personal stories. They don't have to do that! But, they do!

I'm crying even now just thinking about all of this. Well, I start to cry, but my little girl, Bailey, does not like it when her momma cries. She either tries to stop me by giving me kisses or she runs away. She ran away today!

Anyway, it surprised me somewhat when I thanked God for my present condition. I remember an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond. The daughter had asked what the meaning of life is. They struggled for an answer and I yelled at the television, "It's love!" The answer is so easy for us Christians. We know what the Bible says. But, it wasn't until I got cancer until the truth of scripture became real for me. I have never felt more loved than I do today.


No comments:

Post a Comment