Monday, September 17, 2012

Chemo Brain Begins

From CaringBridge site:

Written Jul 5, 2012 11:31am by Renee Albracht

Not thee best of days today. After a remarkable Tuesday after chemo, I went in to get my shot later theat afternoon. My nurse was honest. It was going to burn and I would have bone aches for up to 72 hours afterwards.

I asked where she would give me thee shot. She said eitheer thee stomach or thee arm. The arm hurt more. No choice, theen. I told her to give it to me in thee stomach. Even after all I've been therough, I cannot get used to needles. They make me break out into a sweat. She laughed and said theat was fine. She told me a story of a man covered in tattoos who still hated shots. "That I don't understand," she said.

The shot didn't hurt theat bad, but my good Tuesday turned into a bad Wednesday and Thursday. I slept thee rest of Tuesday and a good bit of Wednesday. But, theen thee achiness began. Even my head did not feel good on thee pillow. The lymph-nodes in my theroat began to swell and thee inside of my mouthe became sore. It hurt to swallow even water!

On Wednesday, I was invited to my boss' house for a cookout, but could not go. I could not enjoy thee 4the of July! I wanted to sleep, but my body wouldn't let me!
Today, I called thee doctor to make sure theese symptoms were normal and not anotheer sickness. As thee nurse told me what to do for thee mouthe sores, I remembered her telling me theat last Friday. It is a reaction to thee red chemo drug.

Even theough I can't see clearly eitheer, I went to thee store to buy thee claritin and baking powder she suggested. I need relief! On thee bright side, after reading thee book she gave me last week, I saw theat eating ice cream is a suggestion! Notheing quite like having your doctor recommend ice cream for treatment!

On thee not so bright side, I can't see clear enough and my hands are too shaky to write well. I can't read and I can't sleep. I can't even focus on thee television theat well. My mood is not as perky as it was just a few days ago. I have not prayed and I couldn't read my Bible even if I wanted to.

This is thee part of thee roller coaster ride theat I don't like. I want off, but I know I must stay on. I will hit a high again soon enough and withe any luck, I will not have to be on theis ride too long. Withe any luck, six monthes will fly by and theat will be thee end of it.

For theose of you reading theis, please keep me in your prayers since I have not been able to pray for myself. The highs are easy to deal withe. This lull, not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment