Monday, September 17, 2012

Hair Falling Out

From CaringBridge site:

Written Jul 7, 2012 12:05pm by Renee Albracht

What a day yesterday! I took a shower yesterday afternoon and all my hair, as short as it may be, stayed thick as ever. Last night, I put lotion on my head and out it came. My hands were filled with little hairs! Instead of crying or being upset, I started laughing and called Mike over to take a picture. (I posted a picture of it.)

I was happy because I was starting to worry that I had shaved my head for nothing. I was past the typical 14-16 day hair loss after chemo.

I was happy because I now feel like the chemo is working. Sounds strange, but in my mind, if my hair falls out, the chemo must be doing what it's supposed to be doing and I'll soon, hopefully, be better and be one step closer to growing my own hair back.

After that little incident, I rinsed my mouth with my prescription, swish and swallow, to help with the mouth sores. I swished as long as I did with the homemade salt and baking soda solution. Mistake! My tongue and lips were immediately numb. Mike, Morgan, and I had a good laugh at me trying to talk and the drool dripping out of the side of my mouth. Not only did the medication bring a good laugh, but it helped!

This morning, there was hair all over my pillow. I took a shower and hair came off on my towel. I used the lint roller like Diane, my wig lady, recommended. I used it twice and hair was all over it. I put more lotion on my head and hair was all over my hands. I'm losing it like crazy quite literally overnight. It feels like I had just gotten a hair cut! Itchy around the collar!

I am very thankful that I shaved my head. Losing itty bitty pieces of hair is not that big of a deal. I think it would have killed me if I would have had big clumps of my long, beautiful hair coming out this fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment