Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Lady Looks Like a Dude

Yesterday morning after releasing my balloons, I spent quite some time updating my blog and Facebook page. While doing so, I rewatched the video of me ringing the gong. It's strange what I remember and what I don't remember. I was feeling quite groggy, but I do remember thinking I needed to ring that gong loud and not simply tap it. I do not remember raising my arms in victory.

The big surprise was seeing what my hairline truly looked like. I could tell that it was thicker on the sides than it was on top. I had even made jokes that I looked like my boss before he started shaving his entire head. I had no idea just how bad it was until I saw myself bending over on the video and saw the back of my head. I truly did have a balding man/receding hairline look. The sides and back were thick, but I had a thinner line all across the top.

No wonder people keep mistaking me for a dude! I quit wearing my wig and don't always wear a cap. When they see the receding hairline, what else would they think? Other than the thinning eyebrows and loss of eyelashes, I don't look sickly. I have actually gained almost fifteen pounds since I started treatment! (Granted, I had lost about ten when I was sick just before I got diagnosed so I technically gained back the ten I lost and regained five additional pounds.)

Anyway, it did not upset me. Simply made me laugh. After watching that video though, I decided to shave my head again and to keep shaving it until all my hair starts growing back thick and even!

I sent Mike a text and told him what I had done and why. He teased me by reversing the lines of an Areosmith song and saying, "Lady looks like a dude!" He then said I was the best looking dude he'd ever seen! Mike is a great, sweet friend! Can make me laugh and make me feel better about a situation all at the same time!

Yesterday afternoon, I went back to the doctor to get my shot to replenish my white blood cells. I got some good news! I didn't know if I was going to have to keep getting that shot for a while still or not. I already got good news that I still did not need the shot for the red blood cells. I am still somewhat anemic, but not bad enough to warrant that shot. This is good news because it is normal for people going through what I am going through to need that shot. For me not to need it means my body is making its own blood and doing relatively well. Yesterday, the nurse told me that this was my last shot for my white blood cells. I do not have to continue with those shots now that chemo is over. Yippie!!!

Now, on to today's update! I slept well and woke up feeling rather well. As the day has progressed, I have noticed the chemo brain setting in somewhat and my body slowing down. I still feel fine, but I can tell I am getting weaker. My mood, as you can imagine, is still extremely upbeat. I still can't believe this is my last chemo week.

Hopefully, I will be able to stay awake and enjoy Thanksgiving tomorrow. Not only am I blessed to have my mom and step dad here. It is also going to be an awesome football day - Texans, Cowboys, and Saints - all in one day! I hope I can enjoy each game!!! If I can at least stay awake for the Texans game and enjoy some good food, the day will be a success!

I am thankful to God for carrying me through this and for each and every one of you for praying me through this and loving me through this.

Going to try to get some work done now. In case I do not get online tomorrow, Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment