Sunday, December 2, 2012

Santa Came Early

Today, in setting up his sermon, the pastor asked what would be the perfect. day. Before even knowing just how perfect it would be, I thought to myself, "the only thing that could make today more perfect would be if Jon Bon Jovi sat beside me during the Titans vs. Texans game.

After a fun filled and exhausting night touring the lights and decorations at the Opry Hotel with Dad, Mike, and Morgan, I woke up early as excited as a child on Christmas morning. I was excited about the game. During service and Sunday School, several people asked me how I felt then said the smile on my face said it all!

After a great worship service, we walked to the stadium which is just across the highway from the church! The Titans folks use our church lot for parking for the game. Since we were there for the service, we didn't have to pay to park!

I got more and more excited the closer we got. When we arrived at our seats, I was amazed by how close we were. I thought our seats would be one section higher, in the middle. We were so close! To make things even better, we were on the Texans side! I had no idea when I bought the tickets which side we would be on. To make things even better than that, the weather was awesome!!! To add to all that greatness, Phil Vassar, my favorite country artist, performed a song during a time out during the second half!

When we got to our seats, some of the Texans were out on the field warming up. They announced the rest of the Texans team and they came out onto the field. As I took it all in, a few tears escaped from my eyes. I remembered the day back in August when I purchased the tickets. It was a chemo week Friday. I still felt miserable. I was alone and in bed. My phone dinged, reminding me that tickets were going on sale that day. I lay there, wondering if I cared enough to get out of bed to purchase the tickets. I did. When I got to my computer and looked at seats, I came so close to purchasing the $20.00 cheap seats. Something came over me then. I knew it was time to stop being such a miser. I loved the Texans and I had always wanted to go to a game. Life was no longer promised to me and if I made it through all of the treatments, I knew this was going to be an amazing way to celebrate.

Watching football with my dad is one of my fondest memories of my childhood, especially the year Joe Montana came back after being injured and won the game with seconds to spare. Dad would sometimes root for the opposite team as me just to keep things fun. Who better to go to this game with then my dad. I did something I have never done before (except for a few Bon Jovi concerts). I spent money on something fun and not just on bills and necessities!

As I watched the Texans run onto the field, as I listened to the boos and cheers, as I marveled at the moment, I could not believe this day had finally arrived. Back in August, December 2nd seemed so far away. Attending this game seemed like a nice fantasy, but I could never actually picture myself being there. Yet, there I was, with my dad, about to see my two favorite teams face off.

As the Titans took the field, the crowd began cheering. I know it's silly and extremely egotistical sounding, but I felt like all those cheers were for me, as if everyone there knew this game was my celebration. What a moment!

I sat on the edge of my seat for most of the game, intent on not missing a single moment. It was so unbelievably exciting. I managed to get a few photos of JJ Watt, my favorite player. Titans fans started leaving after half time. Surprising. Even though the Texans were killing them, anything could happen in an entire half. By the fourth quarter, most of the fans left were Texans fans. I was able to get a little closer to the field for a few more photo ops!

By the time we got back to the car, the adrenaline had worn off and I became exhausted. I am still so very tired. The whole day reminds me of Christmas as a child: excitement getting me out of bed, eager to see what Santa left under the tree, fun playing with my new toys all day, pure exhaustion Christmas night.

Sure wish I could afford season tickets. A few tickets to next season's Titans vs. Texans game will have to do! Gotta do this again! Truly was a perfect day!

View from our seats.

Titans taking the field...crowd cheering for me :-)


Ready to play!

#99

Me and Dad!

Great shot right after a Titans fumble. JJ Watt in the middle. Texans fan cheering.

#99

#99

Texans win!

Game is over!

No comments:

Post a Comment