Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Only One Returned to Give Thanks

Until this morning, I have almost cried only once after hearing the good news. My sister told me that when she went to pick up her boys on Monday, she started to explain why her face was red and puffy. My nephew, Tyler, asked "Aunt Ne Ne?" My sister said yes. He asked, "Cancer free?" She said yes. He raised his hands in victory and cheered. What a special little boy. I can't wait to see them and give them a big ole' hug.

I told my sister that I would probably cry when I saw my family. If it didn't hit me before, it would hit me then.

This morning was the staff Christmas breakfast at Belmont. I always enjoy this time of celebration. This year was especially blessed. The Vice-President of Spiritual Development read scripture and said a prayer. He announced to those gathered the good news that I was in full remission. He included me in his prayer.

God convicted me during the program. Another staff member got up and talked about how greedy and miserly people can be during the Christmas season, the Scrooges of the world, the ungrateful gift recipients. He repeated the phrase, "I don't want to be that guy."

He told the story of the ten lepers healed by Jesus. Only one returned to give Him thanks. That story broke my heart. I have been healed, yet instead of giving thanks, I have been grumbling because things did not go my way and the battle is not yet over. I closed my eyes and with genuine gratitude, gave thanks. I repeated the phrase "thank you" until my heart felt forgiven and I truly felt grateful. What a profound and wonderful moment of healing and gratitude!

Afterward, many came and congratulated me. Their joy for me was infectious. I am finally feeling the joy myself. Several asked "what now" and as I told them what I faced this next year, I added, "But that is nothing. I can handle it. The worst is over!"

When I returned to the office, one of the officers who had not heard the news asked what all the congratulations were for. I told him the good news and added the part about the next year and how easy that would be compared to chemo. I smiled as I watched him fight back tears for me. For the first time that morning, I heard what I had been saying. "I can handle it. This is nothing!"

It's true. It may not have been the easy road I expected, but it's not going to be that hard. I get my life back, I just don't get it all at once. As my boss says, "it's a process." Small steps that will lead to great victories.

I truly am blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment