Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Taking the First Step

Last Thursday I met with a new trainer at Belmont for a fitness assessment. I was not surprised by how horrible I did. Only three minutes doing step ups and I could not walk for days. I could do little more than bend an inch or two at the waist during my flexibility test. My trainer kept encouraging me and telling me I was doing well. I laughed and told him he was being very nice.

It was strange having a Belmont senior training me. It's been a long time since I worked with a trainer and this is the first time I was not already in shape. Made me feel a bit old.

I met with him again on Monday to go over my new workout plan. I was highly pleased. When filling out my application, they asked me to list specific goals. They want something measurable and not simply "loose weight" or "get in shape." My goals included: gain flexibility (be able to kick gain), gain endurance to be able to participate in Krav Maga again, and to be able to run the Music City Half Marathon. I have never really had much interest in running the marathon, but seemed like a good goal. If I could do that, I would most likely be more flexible, healthy, loose weight, and be in good enough shape to get back into Krav Maga.

My trainer did his homework. He not only talked with me about my past workout experience and recent medical hindrances, he also researched Krav Maga and built a workout plan that would help me  improve the muscles and movements necessary in Krav Maga. All my exercises work multiple muscle groups and strengthen my core.

He suggested I start slow: work with weights once or twice a week, light weight, start with one set of ten to twelve reps. He told me how to judge when to start increasing. He also suggested cardio and possibly yoga or Pilate's to help with flexibility and endurance.

Since I said I only wanted to meet once a month (I only need someone to set up a program for me and monitor me until I get back into a routine), he gave me a freebie Monday - no extra charge and allowing me to keep my remaining four sessions. He wanted to be able to walk me through the program to make sure I understood everything, check my form and my breathing. I love his commitment!

It may have been weird at first working with such a young and skinny trainer, but I sure am glad I did. I left excited to get going.

This morning marked my first full workout in a very long time. I was super excited and a bit nervous. Since I am starting slow, it went by pretty quickly. However, I could tell that it was working. My muscles are already a bit tight.

I finally feel like I'm on the path to recovery. This is the first step to getting my life back and hopefully doing even better than I did before!

After first workout - wearing "Renee's Brigade" t-shirt.


No comments:

Post a Comment