Saturday, February 2, 2013

A Random Act

I have another pretty cool story. Yesterday Karen Kingsbury came to Belmont to talk during chapel. She was going to talk about Writing for God. It wasn't what I thought it was going to be about. Instead, it was about living our lives for God. Our lives are stories for God.
I came just to listen, but when I arrived, I noticed that they had a table set up to sell books and had cash. So, I stood behind the cash register and decided to stay there until the folks from Books-a-Million left. 

After the event, the author stayed to sign autographs and talk to fans. When I am at work, I am not allowed to "be a fan" so I did not bring a copy of my book to sign or even expect to talk to her. 

As people waited in line, I overheard a student ask how long they were going to be there. They said only until Karen finished the signing. The student wanted to get a book autographed for her mom, but she did not have any cash. She wanted to go back to her residence to get money, but would not have made it back in time. I could see the disappointment on her face as she turned to get in line without a book. 

I told the girl to give her a book and that I would pay for it. She gave me a weird look and asked if I was sure. I said yes, but don't tell the student who bought the book. 
A few minutes later, the book seller told the Belmont staff member who was putting on the program. I know her well and she started to make a fuss about it. I walked up to them and said, "Now, let me explain." I told her about my sister turning 40 this year and her wanting 40 random acts of kindness. Benita works for the VP of Spiritual Development. She loved that idea and said she was going to use that.

After the event, Karen was signing books for Books-a-Million. I stood out of the way and planned to leave as soon as the people with the money left. Benita asked me if I had met Karen yet. I said no. Benita introduced me and told her what had happened. Karen loved it. They asked me how many random acts I had done so far. I said I think this makes 19.

The girl from Books-a-Million chimed in and said, "She didn't even want the girl to know what she did!" 

I said that would negate the purpose of it!

Benita told me that I could claim my 20th random act today as well since I saw a need and volunteered to stay and help them with the event. I said that would not count since I would have done that anyway as part of my job.

Karen said she could see that turning into a story. "I see it now," she said. "A 19 year old girl dying of a terminal illness. In her will she leaves..." she trailed off. 

I laughed and told her that I was a writer as well and that I always joked that I would leave Belmont if Oprah called me and wanted to feature me on her book club. I said that most of my stories come from real life. She said the best stories come from real life. 

I didn't stay long after that. Once the money was gone and safe, I left to get back to other duties. 

If we ever end up reading a book about a 19 year old terminally ill girl who leaves something in her will about 19 random acts of kindness, we will all have my sister to thank for that one!

If Karen doesn't use it, it may make it's way into one of my novels in the future!!! 

After the event, I emailed Tori to tell her about it. She commented that it may have been her idea, but I was the one doing the acts. I told her, as Karen said, the ideas are important and can take on a life of their own. I told her a story that Karen shared with the students. 
The story of Hattie May Wiatt and the 57 Cent Church:
http://jackjodell53.wordpress.com/2012/03/25/the-57-cent-church/

A little girl, Hattie May Wiatt, stood near a small church from which she had been turned away because it was “too crowded.”

“I can’t go to Sunday School,” she sobbed to the pastor as he walked by.

Seeing her shabby, unkempt appearance, the pastor guessed the reason and, taking her by the hand, took her inside and found a place for her in the Sunday school class. The child was so happy that they found room for her, and she went to bed that night thinking of the children who have no place to worship Jesus.

Some two years later, this child lay dead in one of the poor tenement buildings. Her parents called for the kindhearted pastor who had befriended their daughter to handle the final arrangements.

As her poor little body was being moved, a worn and crumpled red purse was found which seemed to have been rummaged from some trash dump.

Inside was found 57 cents and a note, scribbled in childish handwriting, which read: “This is to help build the little church bigger so more children can go to Sunday School.”
For two years she had saved for this offering of love.

When the pastor tearfully read that note, he knew instantly what he would do. Carrying this note and the cracked, red pocketbook to the pulpit, he told the story of her unselfish love and devotion.

He challenged his deacons to get busy and raise enough money for the larger building.

But the story does not end there….

A newspaper learned of the story and published It. It was read by a wealthy realtor who offered them a parcel of land worth many thousands.

When told that the church could not pay so much, he offered to sell it to the little church for 57 cents.

Church members made large donations. Checks came from far and wide.. Within five years the little girl’s gift had increased to $250,000.00–a huge sum for that time (near the turn of the last century). Her unselfish love had paid large dividends.

I think I will continue doing random acts even after I complete Tori's 40!

No comments:

Post a Comment