Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Checkup with Orthopedist

Had my six week checkup with my orthopedist. Even though my wrist is getting better, it is slow progress. I stopped wearing my brace during the day, mainly because it was hot. When it got hot, my arm started to sweat and itch. It was uncomfortable. So, I wore it only at night and did my best not to use that hand. I even switched my computer mouse to the left.

Dr. Douglas was somewhat concerned that the only reason it seems to be doing better at all is because I avoid using that hand as much as possible. I told him about the mouse and how I still cannot workout with weights the way I want to.

Since it was not improving all that much and since it is keeping me from doing normal activities, he gave me three options. Continue wearing the brace, get another shot and continue wearing the brace, or surgery. Since my body is slow to recover from anything, I did not want to rush into the surgery option, at least, not without talking to Dr. Meluch. I elected for the shot and brace. However, I asked for a different brace, one that breathed a little better. He agreed.

I asked him what could have caused this. He said it is a common injury. He asked me if I ever heard of trigger finger. My symptoms are similar. It is called trigger finger not because a gun causes it, but because the pain is caused from the same motion as shooting and recoil of a gun. I told him I thought mine was caused from a gun. I re-qualified back in October or November while still in treatment. My hand started hurting almost immediately, but got noticeably bad in December. He agreed that this is what most likely caused my "trigger finger," but there is no way to know for sure.

The shot hurt like crazy, but hopefully it helps. I did get a new brace. I will wear this new one during the day and the old one at night. He did not tell me how long I have to wear it. I go back in six weeks. As long as it still hurts, I should continue to wear it.



No comments:

Post a Comment