Monday, December 9, 2013

Two Week Hysterectomy Checkup

It has been two weeks and three days since my hysterectomy. It has been one week since my mom left. I get better day by day. I slept well a few nights ago and am now having trouble sleeping again. It's not that I'm not tired. I simply cannot get comfortable. I have tried to lay flat since sleeping sitting up is difficult for me. I have instinctively turned on my side a time or two. Although this is slightly uncomfortable, it is not painful. Nevertheless, I cannot yet sleep on my side. Sleeping flat is not comfortable either. It stretches my stomach muscles too much. The more tired I become, my body starts to involuntarily stretch. Every muscle in my body stretches like a cat waking up from a nap. That stretches my stomach muscles in an uncomfortable manner as well. I have started to doze in my recliner in the middle of the day. My sleep schedule does not really bother me, though. It's not like I have a rigorous schedule to stick to anyway!

Today I had my two week, post surgery checkup. I was looking forward to being able to get out of the house. The best thing, that I did not even realize until this moment, is that the car ride was not painful! A little uncomfortable, but any position is uncomfortable for me these days!

I was also excited to see how my doctor thought I was progressing and to ask a list of questions. She said I am healing quite well. She even commented on how well I was moving about. I walk rather slow and hunch over very slightly. I also struggle to get up and down, but other than that, I am moving around so much better than I was even a few days ago.

She tried to pull up my charts, but her computer kept freezing on me. She wanted to let me know how much the fibroids and everything else weighed. She was, without having to pull up my charts, able to tell me that none of them were cancerous or had calcium buildup. I told her I have lost over ten pounds since the surgery. Part of that is what they took out of me, I'm sure, but the other part is that I simply do not have much of an appetite. I'm very limited in what I can eat right now. She was not concerned with the rapid weight loss and said all that is normal.

While I waited for the computer to work (which it never did), I pulled out my list of questions and started asking away:

1)After the surgery, she told my mom it looked ugly. To me, it all looks ugly. What did she mean by ugly? Would it all have had to come out anyway, even if I were not already planning the full hysterectomy?

She apologized for scaring my mom and making her think it may have been cancerous. I said she did not scare us at all and I don't think any of us thought cancer. My mom simply thought it may mean my ovaries were bad and we all thought it was good, if that were the case, that they came out.

She said it was nothing like that. Simply, the fibroids were as big as my ovaries and pushing up on them, smashing them, actually. Had my oncologist not suggested I take everything out, the ovaries may not have had to come out. She said she was even surprised my oncologist suggested the full hysterectomy.

Now, I know some will be thinking, after this comment, did I have any regrets about taking my oncologist's advise? Absolutely not. I think it would have had to be done anyway at some point. It's hereditary. Surgery for simply removing the fibroids would have been just as tough as what I had. Plus, with my history of cancer, I still side with my oncologist about being safe. I trust him completely. Also, my biggest concern was surgery induced menopause. I am happy to report, as of this date, I have not had any symptoms. I have had some mild night sweats, but I think part of it was the medication and part is being stuck in one position. The sweats have decreased since I stopped taking the medication. The patch they gave me seems to be working. Plus, until last night, I have not had any back pains! I think the pains last night were from the position I tried to sleep.

I was a little apprehensive about the thought of my insides rotting, though. If my ovaries were rotten, what about other organs? Was it cancer or chemo that did it or was it a pre-existing problem?

Since my ovaries were not rotten, there was no need to ask those follow-up questions.

2) With all this stuff out of me, what takes its place?

She laughed at this question. She said every woman who gets her tubes tied asks where the eggs go. Every woman who has a hysterectomy asks what fills the void. She said my bowels drop. That makes sense. May explain why I have to go to the restroom so quickly after eating these days. They have more room and a straighter shot out!!! (I did not ask what happens to the eggs. No concern of mine!)

3) Can I use my body wash now?

After surgery, I was told to use a mild, non-perfume soap and to let the water run over the scar, but not to rub it.

I have actually used my body wash the past two days. Between the regular soap and cold weather, my skin is getting so dry and itchy. I was able to shave my legs for the first time in over two weeks on Sunday!!! I never go more than one day. I took about all I could take and found a way to make it work. With that awesome accomplishment, I decided to use my body wash as well. I washed my scar last using regular soap, though.

She said that not only can I use my body wash, I can also start peeling off the glue that was used to hold the incision. I can also leave it on and let it come off naturally. She said it looks like it is already starting to peel. I will let it come off naturally. I have no desire to peel it off.

4) Can I start taking all my vitamins?

I take several vitamins and allergy pills. I stopped taking everything except my thyroid medication. My discharge papers told me not to take calcium. I elected to not take anything until I was sure it was okay. The hospital continued to give me the thyroid pills so I knew it was okay to take them. She gave me the green light to start taking them again.

5)  When will the swelling go down so that I can feel comfortable wearing pants?

I dressed like a slob today, but I was dressed better than I have been dressing at home. For the first time in two weeks, I wore a bra and instead of my pj bottoms, I wore my workout pants. They have an elastic waistband and it was so uncomfortable! I managed to do it and, God willing, if I can at least sit for a while, I will wear them to church on Sunday if I can wear no other pant. It was very uncomfortable sitting on the examining table or even sitting in the padded, upright chair.

She said some of the swelling may still be trapped gas. She asked how I was doing passing gas and having regular bowel movements. I am doing just fine. Some of the swelling may go down as I continue to pass gas. The rest will go down with time, possibly a few more weeks.

6) When will I be able to teach my self defense or CPR classes?

I told her I am not as worried about the self defense classes. I teach and someone else demonstrates. However, (I mimicked the movements of CPR) teaching CPR uses those core muscles. She said at the end of these six weeks, I should be able to do it. I simply need to listen to my body and let it tell me what I can and cannot do.

7) When will I be able to run/work out with weights again?

She told me to, again, listen to my body. It will tell me what I can and cannot do. By the end of the six weeks, I should be able to do a little. I can even start working out with weights again. However, I cannot and should not expect to be able to pick up where I left off. I will need to start slow and take it easy. She emphasized the need for me to listen to my body.

8)  How long until I am back to normal?

This question was on my list because a coworker said it took her about nine months before she felt normal and could lift more than 20 pounds. This scared me. I have been thinking about hiking a lot lately. I have not been since last May and wanted to make it a point to go before my surgery, but never had time. I was hoping to go in early spring again. The thought of it taking this long for me to recover really brought me down. However, after hearing the answers to the other questions and feeling for myself that I was quickly improving, I did not ask. I am more than ten years younger than my coworker when she had her surgery. I was also active before the surgery. I remember the doctor who removed my port telling me how well I heal. I hoped my body healed well from this surgery. It seems to be!

9) If all goes well with my health (cancer tests) and other things, I am hoping to possibly move back home to Texas this summer. This is still a big "if" depending on many factors, but if all goes as planned, is there any reason, because of the hysterectomy, that I would or should not think about moving at this time?

No. Not at all.

After the appointment, with Mike as my driver, I managed to run an errand and get a light bite to eat. It was great getting out, but I am exhausted now. I have another excursion on Wednesday -  my boss' retirement reception. I am looking forward to another trip out of the house and hope I will have a tad more energy.

I am hoping that by this weekend, I can, at the very least, go to church and my Sunday School's Christmas party. I would also like to go to a movie or be able to sit at a restaurant and eat with friends.

At the end of the month, my dad and I are going to the Titans/Texans game. They both stink and I am currently mad at the Texans franchise for firing Kubiak, their coach, but I still think it will be fun. I have fond memories of watching games on Sundays with my dad. Last year, my dad and I went to the Titans/Texans game the day before I got my test results that I was cancer-free. It seems only fitting that we go again the day before I get my one year test results, hopefully telling me I am still cancer free. According to my doctor's timeline, I should fee well enough to be able to enjoy this game with my dad!

I will continue to practice patience, though, and not push myself. I think I am doing this well because I have made an effort to follow the advise of my doctor, with a minor hiccup or two. I am eager to do more and be more active, but I will be conscientious not to do too much too soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment